ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Sunday, April 29, 2007



I know I should be revising, but I'm really quite pissed off at the moment.

I just read NME's 2 page love-hate spread on Hadouken!, and then following some wiki and googling (I was trying to find out more about Dr Venom and the True Tiger Camp) came across the Guardian's article on LDN is a victim (I know you already told me about the "song", but I hadn't actually read the article.

Anway, firstly with the NME article. Obviously I side with Jonze in that "they are the future of music", and think that Sam Richards clearly has NO idea what he's talking about.

When exactly have Hadouken ever said they were trying to BE grime?
From the begining they've been what they are - a fantastic fusion of Indie, Electro and Garage, Grime.

And why should they help Boy Better Know reach an Indie crossover audience?
JME and Skepta have built their success through their own hard work, as have H!, so are H! now morally obliged to offer a helping hand because they are white and more famous?

Like I said in a previous post, there's a clear genre-fusing movement going on in the industry at the moment and it's fan-f**king-tastic.

Plus I wouldn't worry, the "Indie crossover audience" are set to get what they apparently "need" (What, they can't just pick up a grime record in HMV along with the new Kooks single?) with the Arctic Monkeys - Dizzee Rascal collab.

Both NME arguments are centred around racism in the industry and Richards moans that "appropriating a whole mode of expression that's concerned with (laregely) black, working-class struggle and turning it into an ironic indie-scene gag is distinctly whiffy".

A) WHEN do H! do this? Have you listened to their lyrics? Since when were Indie Cindys and scenesters been part of the ghetto?

B) So we're back to the white boy steals black boy's style and sells it to more wannabe white boys argument.

Well again, wake up, this isn't H!, and like Jonze says, you can't accuse only H! of this, not if you deserve your job at NME anyway.

Plus, I'm not black working class. And I'm not white.

I'm middle class Indian, so tell me where do I fit into this?

Okay maybe I'm being a little unfair, that's a whole different discussion.


Anyway, moving on to the Guardian's article and LDN is a victim.

I agree with Llewellyn Smith in that, being a fan of most of the artists mentioned in the track, it leaves me thinking what I'm supposed to make of it?

The track and the response Podcast to the "broadsheet reading mofo's" SCREAM Ali G style posh whiteboy trying to be black satire, with the overuse of ghetto slang, and it's hillarious!

Seriously though, have you heard the Ali G soundtrack? It's like the scripts were written by the same person.


All of these arguments and accusations have got me really pissed off.

I agree, LDN is a victim.

A victim of all the haters getting too hyped up about who said what and black-white and rich-poor segregation.

Being neither of either, I'm just sitting here LOVING IT.

And I suggest that the haters, sit back, shut-up and just live and let live.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:10 pm, Blogger Anyhoo said…

    I know precisely where the problems started - you read the NME.

     
  • At 1:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well said dude.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home