ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Monday, January 22, 2007


Wow. I had one of the craziest and most interesting weekends I've had for a long time the weekend before last.

My sister had planned to come down to London to stay with me because she was going to record some vocals with her friend who is a music producer at his studio in south London.

She arrived quite late on Saturday night so we didn't bother going out and instead just chilled at my place and had an early night.

On Sunday morning we went to Camden market.

Oh. My. God. I LOVE CAMDEN!
It's so unbelieveably amazingly culture-infused cool. The markets reminded me of Mong Kok, only more funky and expensive, and less tacky. And the people there - all so funky and representative of their backrounds.

I bought a mustard coloured Shemagh because I think they are tres funky and it matches with my mustard coloured Converses that I got from Mong Kok.

We also got this CD of Indian fused lounge music. Nice beats with Tablas and Sitars.

After spending a good couple of hours in Camden and grabbing a bite to eat (Chinese...though the decision was hard - so many choices!) we hopped on the tube to make our way to the Studio.

The tube ride turned out to be surprisingly fun because of three guys that got on one stop after us. They had been out clubbing and were still a bit tipsy but were so funny. Especially the one with the black afro wig on (I so want one of those!). He kept trying to tell this joke but couldnt remember it and then started asking the stranger next to him to tell a joke, which was how we got talking to them.

It's so great when you meet random but cool people like that. It hardly ever happens in the UK but is how my sister met two of her really good friends in Japan.

We arrived at Kennington station and after a while of waiting my sisters friend turned up to take us back to the studios.

He is such a nice and down to earth guy, and after giving us a quick tour of the studio, he took us through the whole of his first album (the nearest to being released, out of the four), which showcases all of the artists on his label including my sister.
He went through every song telling us about its production except one which he wanted to keep secret because its very soon to be released.
He's so talented and so passionate about his music, MCing, producing, rapping in Arabic, I felt so priveleged being there. And his music is AMAZING. I think he's even too humble to appreciate how good his tracks were, they blew me away.

The whole album is really powerful. Every song has substance and a message. He's half English and half Palestinian and the album is about the situation in the Middle East but it's told in black and white, with no bias, just facts. And what makes the whole thing so much more rich is the cultural diversity of the artists. He even has Jewish friends talking about the situation.
Everything from MCs to Opera singers.

So anyway, the three of us were in the studio, listening to one of the tracks that he wanted my sister to record vocals for, and trying to come up with ideas. There I am singing harmonies to myself, thinking. And then he goes, "Oh my god you can sing", before asking my sister, "Can he sing?".
Apparently I can, and it runs in the family. And the next thing I know, he wants me in the recording booth.

Oh my god. Weirdest thing I've ever done. And I felt really stupid singing along randomly. I doubt he will end up using any of it because I didn't record enough material, but I did also record for the Outro.

We ended up staying until 9.30 pm by which time I was starving!
After leaving, and tubing, and walking, my sister and I managed to find a restaurant in Soho and ate before walking to Piccadilly Circus to get the bus home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home