ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Getting into the rhythm


I had my second hip-hop dance lesson today.

The routine we did was to Amerie's - I just died, and when I heard the beat for the first time, I nearly did.
When you hear the song, listen to the base beat which is clearest in the first 18 secs.
Thats what we were moving to.
Solid or what?

At first it was so hard and I was all over the place, finding it so hard to feel the rhythm and keep to the beat, but by the end of the class I could remember almost all of the routine and I felt I was performing it better.

The turn around was after the choreographer got us all to stop for a second and just to clap along to the beat, as it's so weird, so that we recognised it.
She then told us to stop looking at what others were doing (despite how tempting it can be) and to concentrate on doing it by ourselves.

She also said that it was a hard routine but that the only way we're going to get advanced is to be thrown in at the deep end, "der ain't gonna be no last year's Missy Elliott 'can I work it' stuff in my class. There ain't gonna be none o dat here"

I still really like the song which we did last week, which was Ramalama (bang bang) by Roisin Murphy (yes, her out of Moloko)
If you watch this video, the routine we did is very similar to that, especially the bit to the "unzip my body, take my heart out" line which was exactly the same.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it, even though it's not what/as easy as I though it'd be, and I'm thinking I'm going to get better week by week.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:03 pm, Blogger Anyhoo said…

    Good God your teacher must be vindictive. If you managed to keep in time with Amerie's stuttering beat then I'm impressed.

    And I've had the beat from Roisin's headhunters song stuck in my head all day because of you.

    I've just noticed (on the previous post) "homygod". Care to explain?

     
  • At 11:05 pm, Blogger Azuric said…

    I couldn't keep in time with the beat. It was just too fast.
    Even now, I cant do it, but thats probably because I'm trying to remember which bits of the routine go where and how they piece together without banging into the wall or stubbing my toes on the end of my bed.

    The songs are all really good aren't they? I must find out where she's getting them from.
    I've had the Amerie bam-bam-bam-click! beat haunting me all day. In fact my mum was pleading with me to stop annoying her with it.

    Homygod = Oh my god said very fast and repeatedly.
    I was just amazed at the fantastic video for the David Guetta track. Have you seen it from the link in that post?
    So good isn't it?

     
  • At 11:04 pm, Blogger Anyhoo said…

    It's either WMP which never works when embedded (think it sulks at being in Firefox) or Quicktime which can't do the visual.

    But I've found it on Youtube.

    And parkour? How very Madonna. :-p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home