ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006




I went to my first Hip-Hop dance lesson yesterday, and I can honestly say it was sick*!
It was nothing like the picture above, but sickness nontheless.

*Sick - this generations version of wicked - a once negative word now used to describe something really good.

It was so hard and we (my sister, A, another friend of ours and I) were finding it difficult to keep up and remember the moves because there is only a general class over the summer and no newcomers classes.
However there were people of all abilities there, from the amazingly good (fellow choreographers) to crap people (us).

We went through two dance rountines, one to a Moloko track (which I've never heard before but was really good) which was..weird (the choreographers words, not mine) and the second to a new Ciara track.

The whole thing was so quick and there was so much to remember that before I could even remember the move sequences and do them properly we had moved on to the next bit!

Overall though it was really good and I'm sure that the more I go the better I will get.

Plus now that I've bought a pair of jogger bottoms I'm sure all that kicking and general leg movement will be easier than in the cargo pants that I was wearing yesterday.
And I think I'll wear a pair of loser boxers next week too. Moving on...

Outside after the class, A, my sister and I were talking and the choreographer and her friend passed so we got talking.
Both of them are only a couple of years older than me and the choreographer, G, is obsessed with Japan so clicked with my sister straight away.
Then we got talking about this Japanese Hip-Hop group that I love love love (if you're lucky I'll blog them) and we swapped numbers and recomended tracks and stuff.

Its great how although they're so talented and successful (both live and teach in London and aren't even 21 yet) they're so humble.
And G is a character, she's like the female version of Dizzee Rascal.
They also recommended a place in London near Elephant & Castle where they teach and it's only £5 for 4 hours. Wicked.

So to conclude, it was muchos funos and though we weren't taught individual moves in detail, I'm certain I'll start to pick it up after a few lessons.

I would love to learn to dance like the guys in the video below.
That is proper Hip-Hop dancing, feeling the rhythm and flow and...just watch it!
Especially the bit after one minute in - that's the hotness!









4 Comments:

  • At 4:37 pm, Blogger Rob7534 said…

    You do realize that in 20-some years time, you will look back at these films with a bit of nostalgia, and think to yourself, "OMG, I really wanted to dance like that when I was younger!"

    It reminds me of all those dance-based movies I loved when I was a kid in the 80's! Electric Boogaloo ect...

    But I applaud you for going to dance class. I think that's excellent. I want to go to latin dance classes in my area! I love Salsa dancing!

     
  • At 7:03 pm, Blogger In Full Bloom said…

    4 hours for 5 quid? I have to do this. I wanted to continue with ballet when I get over there anyway, and maybe ballet and hip-hop could be a good mix. Like in "Save The Last Dance". Ho hum.

    Anyway, good for you "following your dream". Its great that you are one of those people who will say "I want to do this!" and then actually do it.

    I'm inspired. I'm going to go watch "Bump 'n' Grind".

    I'm trying to book tickets to fly over for my Gran's funeral, so who knows, I could be in the LDN sooner than I thought, even if just for a week.


    xx

     
  • At 7:06 pm, Blogger In Full Bloom said…

    + btw, I did comment your last entry, but word verification wouldn't work that day so you can see the comment on my blog (Esperança = Hope). Sorry.


    xx

     
  • At 6:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where on Elephant and Castle do they teach? I am looking for dance classes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home