ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007


Even if we didn't watch it, we've all seen the papers and heard the news, the victim became the victor on Sunday as Bollywood Beauty Shilpa Shetty won Big Brother.

I missed the whole show that night and even laughed at my friend when she told me how she had cried during the interview and when Shilpa was named winner, "especially because Indians never win anything!", but watching clips of the night on the wonder that is Youtube, I was also choked with emotion at Shilpa's speech.

That beautiful (in every sense of the word) woman is so cultured and dignified, so respectful and humble, with so much inner-strength, it's inspiring.
Even after being shown the hate-tape of Jade, Jo, and Danielle's bitching towards her she chose to forgive and forget, "we are all human, we all make mistakes".


However, the thing that I loved most about her, and which made me so proud was after the interview when she was led outside on to the stage again to meet her applauding crowd - as she set foot on the stage she bent down and touched the ground before touching her eyes and head.
That is a mark of respect that Indians show their elders and their temples.

It shows respect for Mother Earth (Dharti Maa), the ground upon which we walk.

The Indian cricket team do the same thing to the pitches they play on.

What was so great about it though, I think, is that it just highlighted that no matter where which country we come from, we all walk on the same Earth.

We should love and respect it, and every country that shares it.

Being the first generation of British-Asian, and having the previous four generations of my family come from Uganda could be really unsettling, but it really isn't.

I'm so proud of the three cultures that influence who I am, and the two countries that represent who I am.

I have the best of both worlds.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home