ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pirates Of The...Camden?


Friday:

My sister had been staying with me since Weds night as she had work related stuff in London on Thursday. As she was down, we'd arranged to spend the weekend with my cousin, CD, who lives near Old Street.
After I finished my afternoon lectures, I had a quick munch of Jambu's* and Tea with my sister and our frind Chigga, and packed stuff for the weekend before heading off to get the Tube to Old Street with my sister.

*Which are one of my favourite Indian sweets - balls of flour, with butter and saffron, deep-fried so they are crispy on the outside but fluffy and light on the inside, and then served in sugar syrup.
Yes I'm probably going to need a Coronary Tripple By-pass at the age of 30 but seriously - they are GOOD!

We dumped our stuff at CD's before heading off towards Angel for food.
Angel is quite cool actually, a lively little area, although it seems that no one cleans up after their dogs there.
I also spotted TWO Banskys while I was there, which was muchas coolas.

We had dinner in a really nice Italian place on the main road, and through my cousins insistance had red wine with the meal (hadn't really done that before because I thought I didn't like wine [how wrong I was!] and only normally have alcohol when I go to a bar or club).
I ate so so much in that meal, but it was so nice. As we finished off the wine we chatted more and then began people watching. Fun game.

After restaurant came bar hunting, poncy doorman "not tonight"-ing me because of my Converses, more bar hunting, drinking, leaving, and then desert hunting, at which point we ended up in a different Italian restaurant.
I was the only one who ordered both coffee and a cake but meh. T'was gooood.

Somehow my cousin, who is 23, got in to a conversation about faeces, and you know when you just find everything hilarious for no reason at all...we were all laughing so loudly about the most random crap (litterally!).


Saturday:


My sisters long time friend from school Ree was having a Pirates of the Carribean themed house party at her house in Wellwyn Garden City for her housemates birthday on saturday night so we decided to go to Camden market on a costume hunt on Saturday morning.

By the time we got to Camden we were all hungry and it was lunch time so we went to a really funky pub for food, and then headed off into the market.
About 4 hours later, we were all tired and satisfied with what we'd bought so decided to grab a coffee at Cafe Nero before heading back to my cousins place.
It took us a surprisingly long time to find good enough costume pieces but my sister remembered a fancy-dress shop in the market near Camden Lock - luckily, because that's where we got pretty much everything from.

I ended up buying a Pirate's sword, eye patch, and as it was pirates of the Carribean...a black, afro wig!

Back at her place we all got dressed up, and then headed out to the tube station to get the tube to Burnt Oak where Chigga and Jin were picking us up.
I love going on the tube when all dressed up and looking stupid, it's so much fun. All the looks you get, and people laughing/commenting is great. We ended up playing Sharades with some random man which was funny.

Photos are on a certain Flickr account.

Randomly, let me fill you in:

My sister and Ree have been friends since the beginning of Secondary school.
Chigga and Jin are Ree's friends, who my sister met during their uni years.
My cousin, CD, met them all at my sister's birthday (the night of random poultry-textage) and started going out with Jin after that.
And I met them all through my sister over the years.
Thats how everyone knows everyone.

The house party was quite good seeing as I didn't know anyone else there but I got talking Paulo, a friend of my sister and Ree, whom they met when they went to Frankfurt during the world cup. As Ree put it they have a habit of collecting random friends from holidays.
I also met Paulo's friend Adie who like me didn't know anyone, but like he said that was cool because as no one really knew anyone, everyone got to know everyone...if that makes sense.

Anyway, the six of us finally got to bed at about 4am-ish, and with all of us in Ree's room that's when the jokes started.
Chigga is so so funny, and so is Ree.


Sunday:


After getting ready the six of us cleaned up the house a bit (oh my god I'm never having a house party, especially if it's actually my house that I've just bought and decorated - there was crap and beer everywhere!) and ate breakfast while my sister and Adie had a guitar-singing session.

Then when Adie and Paulo left we headed into St. Albans for lunch at Zizzis. St. Albans is a really nice town, lots of character to it.

We finished off the weekend with a trip to the cinema where we saw...

The Last King Of Scotland...

I don't think I can remember the last time I sat in my seat at the end of a film, watching the credits roll, unable to move, taking everything in, feeling totally blown away by what I'd just seen.
But that's exactly how I felt after that film.

The acting was fantastic, Forrest Whitaker deserves an Oscar. Infact the whole film does.

It's strange to see it especially knowing that my parents lived it, and this perspective is so different to what they've told me it was like. But it's shocking nonetheless.
I told them that they had to see it.

And you do too, go watch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home