ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Woo-hoo!

I had the last exam today.

Finally i can get back to everything that i had been putting-off due to revision: reading, relaxing, sleeping, watching tv, and most importantly, music!


The exams went okay, and only okay, but that was expected, i'll just have to wait for the results and see how things go.

Reading about dan's recent fitness-feats, reminded me of the lack of exercise and sports i had been doing recently, (Well i had been excercising my brain and had not had time for much else!) so it was great to finally get back into the gym today. I didnt actually have a routine, just ended up doing a bit of this and that, and then played some badminton. And now i have that strangely satisfying ache, which is always a good sign.

But anyway, onto the one thing that has kept me going through the exams, no, its not the new series of Desperate Housewives (although Woo-hoo! for that, god bless channel 4!), its music!

I spent the whole of sunday in the lounge with the matching baubles (that arent there any more due to obvious reasons), with my notes, the fire, and the following few albums...


clap your hands say yeah
I first heard about this band on coolhunting sometime last year.
Indie-pop-funk with a happy upbeat sound.
The songs are weaved with layered guitars, low-key bass and some buzzing, fuzzy synth with tight acoustic melodies.
The lead vocalist, Alec Ounsworth has a sort of "indie voice" and has been described as a drunk David Byrne.
He really goes for it in places, yowling and yodeling energetically, but is also charming and soulful in some songs.
"Over and over again", and "Details of the war" are two of my favourite.


clor
A friend recomended this album to me in november. I knew i'd love it as soon as i heard the beat kick-in on the first track "Good Stuff". Its a mish-mash of electro punk-funk and indie, with quirky lyrics, stabbing guitars and electronic drums.
I was surprised just how much i liked Clor and this album (almost as surprised as i was to learn they were former members of Roots Manuva's on-stage band), because i would normally label the above description as 'not my thing' but they provide a fresh sound in a stale, manufactured genre. My friend practically forced this album on me, and im so glad she did. My favourite track has to be "Love + Pain", *begins singing: i was in love....* with "Good Stuff" a close second.


The Go! Team
I dont think there is any type of music genre or instrument that this band doesnt make use of, four (yes four!) drummers,
electric guitar, harmonica, a banjo, flute, scratching and even MCing. They are funky in every sense of the word. Euphoric, upbeat folk with tangents of bollywood soundtracks, cheerleading chants, old hip hop and noise guitar bands.
Despite what your thinking, this above concoction, actually crashes together with a bang that works, it makes you feel good, it makes you want to get up and dance, and it makes you want to sing along at the top of your voice! My favourite songs on this are "The whole album"....okay okay...i'll choose...er..."Lady Flash" and "Feelgood by Numbers".

Of course its only after you read this post at abstract boy's blog you realise your actually quite out of date.
But ooh theres a post about clap your hands...


Anyway, im going to go and er...do nothing!

Woo-hoo!
(I've realised i've been saying that a lot recently, any relative of yours Any?)

1 Comments:

  • At 4:57 pm, Blogger Anyhoo said…

    I don't think I've a monopoly on -hoos. Or maybe I out to claim the copyright and charge all the woohooers royalties.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home