ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Friday, June 02, 2006


I am feeling [Depressed, Miserable, Lonely]

Everytime I come to blogging how Im feeling I can never do it. I just cant start it. So excuse me if this is all a bit rambly and nonsensical.

I really dislike my father sometimes.

For the way he behaves and the things he does...and doesnt do.

He just makes my mums life so miserable sometimes.

Despite the happy-families front we put up for everyone outside a week doesnt seem to go by without an argument between them.

Mum came home really upset today and began telling me about the argument they had at work.

I sat there drying her tears and listening to her whilst thinking why on earth he is the way he is. I know he works so hard and is so tired all the time, but everyone is stressed, especially mum, and no one acts the way he does.

He never appreciates anything she does for him, even though she raised both of his children single handedly, managed the whole rebuilding of our house (subsidence problems), manages the entire financial side of the business, works for the business and attends another job.

She does everything. And he doesnt see any of it. He doesnt see how lucky he is.

And he says some really hurtful things.

I'll be here for hours if I try to explain it all.

Im worried about the long-term situation for them.
Despite my sister and I having grown up telling them to divorce we know thats not a solution they are willing to accept.
(A - because of the financial complications, B - being in Indian society, C - her knowing that he wouldnt be able to survive without her.)

Whilst she was telling me everything my mum said, that I'd be okay because I am going off to London, and my sister is going to get married, and that she has no one.

And it hurt me because its true. She is my best friend in the whole world. And theres nothing I can do to help her. We have been through so much together, and this year I will leave her and go.

My father is a nice guy, and he is hardworking and I do appreciate him. But we have never been close. For the first 13 years of my life I hardly saw him. That wasnt his fault, but youd think hed want to catch up on all that over the next 5 years.
During the whole 18 years of my life, and Im not exagerating here, I think we've only had 2 conversations.
He never asks me what Im doing, or how Im feeling, how my day was, what im into. I bet he doesnt even know what subjects im taking.

My mum tried to explain to me that he never had any emotion shown to him when he grew up so how was he supposed to give any, but thats a whole load of rubbish. You learn from what you dont have and give that to your wife and children.
Thats what being a husband and father is all about.
Id never treat my wife or children like this.

I still respect him for everything he does for us, and because my mum brought me up to do so, but respect is earnt, and he certainly is not earning it.

I will always be there for my family, a shoulder to cry on, but Im tired of the pressure, and the maturity and of putting on a brave face.
I miss having someone of my own to turn to for support and to cry on.

Sometimes I feel like climbing under my duvet in my bed, where I feel safe and secure and crying.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:35 pm, Blogger Anyhoo said…

    Parents: Yes, well, quite.

    Encourage your mother to have more of a life outside the home and away from your father (although I'm not sure where she'd have the time).

    Your father: I've no idea. I think sons are traditionally not supposed to get on with their fathers, until they realise the past is not important. But I'm not sure I've reached that stage yet. It's just how it is, unfortunately.

    You: what is the blog, if not a shoulder? Yes, I can't give you an actual hug. Yes, I can't worry about you snivelling into my favourite jumper. But still, there are people out there who like you, and want to help you stay happy.

    So here's a hug, but blow your nose first.

    As for curling up and crying; it can be useful. It can also suddenly strike when one is writing about it (not actually crying, just that lurch beforehand). We all need to cry occasionally. Hopefully not too often.

    And how much of the crying is related to your parents, and how is that just a trigger for other anxieties over exams and the future?

    I hope you feel better soon, but, well, that's up to you.

     
  • At 9:02 am, Blogger Azuric said…

    :-)
    Thanks.
    I do feel better.
    And you're right, it was/is many things building up.

     
  • At 4:47 pm, Blogger In Full Bloom said…

    Wow, I had no idea. I thought you were close to both your parents and so would never identify with the problems I have with my father. The thing about him is he is two completely different people. One is warm, friendly, reasonable, talkative and interested in my life. The other is a total monster who yells all the time, has no respect for anyone, flips out at the slightest thing, is judgemental, lazy, and treats us all like crap. Half the time he is one person and half the time he is the other, and I never know which person to expect.
    So in so many ways I can identify. And I have also grown up telling mum to divorce him. But I've kind of learnt over the years that
    a)you can't always fight people's battles for them,
    b)after a while you kind of learn to go numb, and none of it fazes you anymore.
    I wish I could give you advice on how to deal with your father, but honestly, I'm still learning how to deal with mine.
    Just know that there is someone else in the world who truly understands how you're feeling. And also remember that its okay to cry sometimes.


    xx

     
  • At 10:15 am, Blogger Rob7534 said…

    I feel your pain Azuric, and I'm sorry you must shoulder all these things. But it may all be part of growing up.

    My parents went thru a simliar problem, where they stayed together mostly out of stability an familiarity, not really out of mutual respect or love.

    Even today, I worry they might just end up killing each other. And I'm not being facetious either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home