ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Saturday, November 11, 2006


Well, that was one drama-filled Saturday...

I was in bed this morning watching Lost when my sister rang.

I thought it was a little strange of her to ring, but thought that it was maybe because we hadn't spoken to each other or something.

In actual fact it was to tell me that my cousin CK, had been in a car accident early this morning, that he was okay and in hospital with a few cuts and bruises but nothing serious and that the car had been totally wrecked and written-off.

I was almost close to tears after the call which was surprising. It's only when something so terribly serious happens that you realise just how much you love someone. He's like my little brother (despite being so much taller than me).

I immediately rang my mum and then rang my aunty who was in an expectedly emotional state. From the three conversations I had a sketchy idea as to what had happened but it was only when I got to Watford that everything became clear.

My sister and I arranged to meet in Watford at 1pm so I rushed to get ready and eat and then make my way to Euston.

Both of us ended up running late, my sister more than me, but we eventually got to Watford and grabbing a quick bite to eat were taken to Barnet Hospital by my uncle.
They'd taken him to Barnet because it was much closer to the crash site.

When we got there he was sleeping in the bed, with my aunty in the chair next to him holding his hand.
His face was grazed and bruised and his lip was cut.
It was so scary and upsetting to see him like that, it just made me think how worse things could have been.

My aunty was in a state, she'd been up all night with him in A&E and looked as if she could cry again at any moment.

My sister and I had been there for about 5 minutes when he began to stir.
My aunty whispered to him that we'd come to see him and straight away his face lit up.
Both of us laughed as we said hey and moments later he was sitting up in bed making jokes and chatting normally.

We all sat there chatting about the crash and what happened and how he was feeling for some time. He was still dizzy and his cuts were sore.
Especially the stiches in his head, which the doctors had managed to sew without shaving his hair - how cool is that.
All he can remember at the moment is driving along, then the airbag going-off, and then being in A&E.

After that we managed to convince my aunty to eat so I went to the cafe with her while she told me the whole story.

My cousin was coming back from a party in London (where he didn't drink because he never does if driving) at about midnight. It had been raining Friday night for quite some time.
There was lorry in the slow lane of the M1, a RangeRover in the middle lane, and my cousin attempting to overtake it in the Third lane.
Just after he had overtaken, the car hit a puddle of water (according to the police there was also some diesel on the road) and so skidded.
He lost control of the car and it began to spin around and around over the 2nd and 3rd lanes.
The RangeRover coming towards it was able to do nothing because of the Lorry in the 1st lane and so hit his car in (luckily*) a head-on collision.

*My aunt showed me a picture of the car.
The whole bonnet had been totally smashed in, it was as if it wasn't even there.
Just a warped cockpit had survived.
Had the RangeRover have hit him side on the police reckon he wouldn't have made it.
He's lucky to be alive.

We were all laughing afterwards back in the ward, when he'd really perked up because all he was worried about was his car. There we were scared shitless and he's thinking about the car.
He was really into doing it up and had just that day ordered rims and paid the deposit for the tints, and now the whole thing was destroyed. It is quite sad really.

My aunt was really glad that my sister and I went, she told me in the cafe and told my mum the same, that my cousin really livened up after seeing us.
Apparently before that he'd just been lying there slipping in and out of sleep.

God these things scare the crap out of you. I'm still thinking what-ifs, and thanking that there were none.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:11 am, Blogger In Full Bloom said…

    i'm so glad everything is okay. those sorts of situations are always so scary, especially when its such a close call.
    (word verification= ttwok. it reminded me of that wok you bought. have you actually used it yet?)

    xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home