ObscureAzure

Welcome to ObscureAzure, a slice of MindCake™ belonging to Azuric.

Friday, August 18, 2006


Wow.

It's all slowly starting to sink in.

I can't believe my dad cried when I told him the results.

Mum rang him from school as soon as we found them out and in her excitement forgot that I maybe wanted to tell him or even talk to him and so I rang him again.
As he said, "I told you you'd do it" and well done and "I'm so pleased", I could tell his voice was choked with emotion.
When we got to work I gave him a hug and touched his and mums feet (a sign of respect and thanks in Indian tradition) and he had tears in his eyes.

He had already rang his youngest brother to tell him the news and as he began telling us what my uncle had said he started sobbing!
"He'll go there as a boy and comeback as a man", "He'll be the most highly educated in our family" and especially when my uncle said how I had made their father's dream come true (I can't remember my dad's dad as I was so young when he died but apparently his wish was for someone in his family to be a doctor).

I can't believe his reaction, it was so sweet, and he's normally never emotional.
Whilst telling my mum that she said that inside he is and that I should just wait till they drop me off at uni for the first time because he'll cry then as well.

My mum also told me after that she hadn't slept all night with worry and bad dreams.
I felt guilty because I was out with a click.
I guess it was because inside I was sure I had done it. I don't want to sound cocky, but I felt that at worst I'd have dropped one grade and thus still met the conditions of my offer.

My mum and I then began talking about what my granddad (her dad, who died about 3 years ago) would have said if he were still here and we both nearly cried.
I really miss him sometimes, he's so funny, and I remember the catch-phrases he used to say, and probably would have said if I could have told him.
Like he always used to say to all of his grandkids, "I love you my son", even to the girls (Not speaking much English himself).

He told me I should be a lawyer a few months before he died because the whole family was at their house and we were all having a mass debate.
It was pretty much me against all my uncles and dad, with everyone else just listening, but he liked how I wasn't affraid to express my oppinions and speak my mind, and how argumentative I can be.
Nonetheless I know he'd be proud of me.

I got the OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION LETTER this morning.

That's it, I'm going to IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON to do Medicine!

I'm so so happy that this journey is finally over.

I was looking back through my blog to almost a year ago when I applied to UCAS and the whole thing began, and started to remember how hard it all was.

Firstly that BMAT test, as if A-levels weren't enough, we had one more test to overcome. It was so hard and so much pressure, and the results didn't help me at all.

After that came weeks of hoping and hoping to the point of cheese, and a first interview - pointless excitement, a few lessons learned, rejection followed, but it was an experience nonetheless.

The first rejection always hits you hardest and the months that followed were really difficult with the stress, depression, and pressure.

One friday in february a letter came - another interview and another chance.
I felt much better about this one.

A month after came some devastating news, two rejections in one day.
That made it 3 out of 4 and having already had the interview for the fourth there was nothing more I could do but just wait.

Having it come so close to total failure was absolute torture - you read my blog, you know how I felt. But it did teach me some valuable things.

And finally, on the 9th March my break came - a letter from Imperial confirming that I had a conditional offer.

And now I've got my grades which means I've got my place!

I'm going to LONDON!

I'm going to be living in South Kensington.
And all the road name signs will have 'City of Westminster' on them.
And I'll have an OysterCard.
And there'll be red busses everywhere.
And black stuff up my nose at the end of the day from riding the tube.

I have just 6 weeks of home left till I have to go...

Can't wait!

Along the road there have been some great songs that now when I hear them remind me of this past year, school, and all the memories:
  • Bedouin Soundclash - When the night feels my song - Lyrics are appropriate.
  • Mylo vs Miami Sound Machine - Doctor Pressure - This one especially!
  • Orson - No tomorrow - First song I heard after I got my offer, summed up exactly how I felt.
  • Lily Allen - LDN - My future HOME!


3 Comments:

  • At 1:52 am, Blogger ferox said…

    CONGRATS! This is huge!

     
  • At 8:20 pm, Blogger In Full Bloom said…

    Six weeks?! I'm moving in on registration week, so I'll be there in...ohhhh...24 days : )

    I'm so excited! (I know, I've already said this a million times) This year is going to be SO great!


    xx

     
  • At 8:28 pm, Blogger Azuric said…

    I know! And that Lily Allen track gets its UK release on the 25th September so it will be all over the radio when we're movin in/there - its like a sign!
    And the lyrics are kind of apt.
    I dedicate it to us!
    Woo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home